Thursday, May 22, 2008

Water Water Everywhere And Not A Drop To Irrigate With

That doesn't look too awful, does it?

Oh but it is. The river is rising very quickly now. It looks like it has risen at least a foot since yesterday. I have a spot down by the pump where I can make a guesstimate as to how high the river is getting.

Here is my usual shot, looking east off of the bridge that connects the amphitheater to Watson Island. I am mesmerized by the current of the water and I'm wondering if it is going to flood the Gardens. I think it will spill over into the amphitheater. I had to do an emergency pump evacuation yesterday. The river was up so high it was starting to erode the bank under the concrete base where the pump that irrigates the amphitheater rests. Isn't that just how it goes? I got the irrigation working and now I have to move the pump. Well, as I keep saying, I am going to do a little flood irrigation down in the amphitheater. ;) We are all wondering if it will go over the dyke or not. I'm really curious to see how high the water is going to get.

The irises are really hitting their prime. They look just wonderful. I was out at Willow Bend Iris Farm last night. Their irises are looking great and should look perfect for the Garden Tour. That is coming up a week from Saturday, May 31 and June 1. Do you have your tickets yet?

No comments: