Monday, June 16, 2008

So Much Has Happened

I don't know where to start. Can I even remember a week ago Friday? Ummm. No. Monday was a big day though. I finally got the pump going in the irrigation pond. Which makes me extremely happy. Extremely happy. So with my confidence up I attempted to get the fountains going in the Japanese pond. I was pretty close and then pfffft. The pump just wouldn't turn on. Cuss, cuss, cuss. I helped Paul Sparks shovel dirt for his dahlia bed and numerous odds and ends to get wrapped up because I was headed out of town to go to the Plant Select meeting at the Denver Botanic Garden. It was fantastic. The speakers were inspiring, the gardens too, of course. I took a zillion pictures but mostly of things of interest to an Operations Manager, like thermometers and exit signs and paving materials. I came back with a truckload of plants, yes a truckload of plants. So, that is what I'm working on this week. Getting those suckers in the ground. And keeping what is already in the ground to stay alive in the 90 plus heat we have. Here are a few pictures that are just purty and not work photos.



This is from a city park in downtown Denver by the art museum. These little guys just cracked me up. I liked how they were all lined up just so and they were so upright they reminded me of soldiers on parade.


Some day when I figure out how to get a handle on the mealy bugs, the brugmansia at the Gardens will look this good.

What a fabulous mix of purple, yellow and green. From the Denver Botanic Gardens.



So today Richard spied a new frog in the greenhouse. We surmised that perhaps it hitched a ride in on one of our new bromelieads. My camera does a poor job of zooming in so you can't really see it to well. If any of you know of a decent digital camera that has a good zoom on it let me know.

Can you see the frog?

This is a little better view. But not much.

Tomorrow I'll report on the Plant Select planting project. Today Richard and Tyler planted 2 flats of iceplants and the three honeysuckle, Kintzley's Ghost. Once they grow out a little they are going to look fantastic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

Glad to see you got back to GJ well, and enjoyed your visit to DBG. I was pleased to meet you and am thrilled you will have so many Plant Select plants at your terrific Garden.

I have enjoyed your conservatory and butterfly house, and think your cactus gardens to be among the best anywhere: they have had an awesome year of flowering.

Keep up the good work!

Panayoti Kelaidis
Director, Outreach
Denver Botanic Gardens